NORTH HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Some folks can’t hold out any longer, the heat is on.
“The temperature dropped down to 66. We have my grandchildren here. They complain so we turn the heat on,” said William Kyropoulous of North Haven.
If you’re waiting to put the heat on and using other ways to keep warm, be careful.
In December of 2013, a Hartford family had to be rescued when a blanket caught fire from a space heater. Over in Shelton, hot embers sparked a fire in February. So, if you’ve got a fire place or wood burning stove, get the chimney cleaned once a year.
North Haven Fire Chief Paul Januszewski says you have to carefully dispose the embers.
“You can shovel it out and clean it out, put it into a non-combustible material like a metal can and actually move it outside,” said Januszewski.
When you go outside make sure it’s far away from the house as it could smolder for several days and even though it may seem like an idea, you never want to put any accelerants to help start up a fire. You also only want to use seasoned fire wood to prevent any Carbon Monoxide in the home.
“You actually want to make it so that it’s burning hot and clean at all times,” said Januszewski.
When it comes to space heaters, don’t put them near anything flammable, like fabric. Turn it off before you go to bed and make sure it’s UL listed.
“What that does is that it ensures that it does not ever get too hot and if it were to tip over, it shuts off,” said Januszewski.
For more safety tips, click here.