St. Vincent’s Medical Center’s Mobile Mammography Unit

(WTNH) — Halfway through Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Camelia Lawrence, M.D., Fellowship Trained Breast Surgeon at St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport stopped by Studio 8 with some exciting news about breast health, prevention and wellness!

St. Vincent’s is proud to offer their mammogram services in their most convenient method yet!  The Mobile Mammography Unit is a bus that travels within a 6-mile radius of St. Vincent’s Medical Center offering mammograms and breast exams to anyone who visits. Services are free to those who are uninsured or underinsured.  However, to any type of patient, the bus offers a waiting area, dressing area, and exam area with test results readily available to a patient only minutes after an exam.

This is revolutionary as breast prevention is a tricky topic and screening is of the utmost importance! More than 90% of breast cancers are caused by unknown factors. The remaining 10% of those diagnosed are due to hereditary factors. Frequent self-exam can aid in early detection and prevention. Though mammograms aren’t 100% accurate they are currently the best option on the market.

To schedule an appointment with Dr. Lawrence, please call 203-332-4744. Dr. Lawrence will also be attending the American Cancer Society “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” event on Sunday October 18th.  She will have a meet and greet table set up where she will be introducing herself to the community from 8:30am- 11am. She will also be speaking briefly at the St. Vincent’s Medical Center Foundations 20th Annual Breast Cancer Luncheon on October 22nd.  The event is open to the public and tickets are still available by going to www.give.stvincents.org.

Ladies, remember that though you are constantly consumed by many care giving roles it is important not to omit one very important person- yourself!

 

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s