New Haven man pleads guilty in fatal nightclub shooting

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A New Haven man accused of murder in a 2013 fatal nightclub shooting has pleaded guilty.

New Haven Register reports Adrian Bennett’s trial ended Tuesday morning after he entered the plea to murder and five of the 10 assault counts he was facing.

Authorities said Bennett fired into a crowd at the Key Club Cabaret on Oct. 26, 2013, killing 26-year-old Erika Robinson and injuring five people.

His lawyer says 30-year-old Bennett realized that the prosecution’s testimony would be hard to overcome in jurors’ minds.

He says Bennett also didn’t want Robinson’s family to watch a surveillance video showing her death after it had been shown repeatedly during the trial on Monday.

A judge told Bennett he faces up to 193 ½ years when he’s sentenced Feb. 4.

___

Information from: New Haven Register, http://www.nhregister.com

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s