(ABC NEWS) — A Chicago police officer who could become the first on-duty cop in his city to be charged with murder has turned himself in, authorities said today.
Officer Jason Van Dyke arrived at the Cook County Courthouse this morning and prosecutors are expected to charge him with murder.
Van Dyke is accused of shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald on Oct. 20, 2014. The white officer reportedly shot the black teen 16 times, and the Associated Press reported that the autopsy report found two of the shots were fired into his back.
Patrol car dash cam footage of the incident exists and a judge has ordered for it to be released publicly by the end of day Wednesday.
The police squad car dash cam video from October 2014 allegedly shows McDonald walking away from a group of police officers with a small knife in his hand, according to lawyers for Laquan’s family who said they have a copy of the video.
As McDonald is walking away, Officer Van Dyke can allegedly be seen opening fire from about 15 feet and continuing to shoot even after McDonald fell to the ground, hitting McDonald a total of 16 times, Laquan’s family lawyers said.
Chicago police officials have said officers were responding to a call about a person walking down a street with a knife, and that McDonald refused to drop the knife when ordered to do so by officers.
Van Dyke had been put on paid administrative leave since the shooting, police said.
Even though the family had not filed a lawsuit, the City of Chicago approved a $5 million settlement with McDonald’s family this past April after being advised to do so by a city attorney who had seen the video, according to the AP, which also noted that a grand jury was called in this case to decide whether to press charges against Van Dyke.