(WTNH) — Cooler weather also means some will be staying warm by the fireplace, but you set the first one, we’ve got your back with a few things you should do to stay safe.
Todd Lewis has been cleaning and repairing chimneys FOR YEARS. He says this is important in order to sweep out the particles that have been left behind after other fires over time.
He says this is a busy time of year…but anytime you deal with fire it’s dangerous. “People feel safe because they have a big brick chimney and they think flames are not going to come out and touch something, but that’s not the danger. It’s the intense heat from the flu fire conducted through the brick work, to the wood structure and spontaneous combustion occurs.”
Lewis also recommends getting a carbon monoxide detector inside your home before starting any fires.