(WTNH) – It’s been said you can pick your friends but not your family so if upcoming holiday family dysfunction has you running to food for solace our next guest, relationship expert Lisa Lieberman Wang author of the #1 Bestselling book, F.I.N.E. to FAB has more productive ways for you to beat the holiday stress and bring in the joy.
Why are family holiday events so stressful?
Lisa says no matter how old we are there’s always someone’s love we craved when we were growing up and didn’t receive. The holiday time brings back all those old memories causing stress for many.
What should people do at holiday gatherings when family members push their buttons?
Remember it is not about the food, it is just a vehicle to fill a void. Decide in advance not to react instead take a deep breath and count to 10 before you say or do anything. Practice responding versus reacting. Also, have safety nets, someone you can hang out with that brings you peace and happiness.
If you’re an emotional eater here are some easy tips and tricks to take care of yourself this holiday season…
- Never going to events hungry, have a small snack before you go, so you’re not famished when you arrive and find yourself eating too much in hunger or stressful moments.
- Never eat standing up. Only eat when you are seated with a napkin on your lap.
- Carry a glass of water and drink. More often than not we are thirsty in that hungry.
- Decide ahead of time to take care of you the decision needs to put an end to any other option taking care of you mean making healthy choices.
- See the Future in Advance. See past that moment and feel what you will feel like tomorrow after eating all the garbage.
- Focus on what’s good and not what’s bad whatever we focus on getting bigger.
- You help people learn to F.L.Y. what does this mean and how do we do it?
Remember to FLY, first love yourself. When we’re dealing with shame or blame it’s easy to beat ourselves up in a way to avoid dealing with the people we feel harmed us. Remember what we do in private shows up in public so start now and FLY.
As a survivor of depression, compulsive overeating, binge eating, bulimia, emotional and sexual abuse, Lisa Lieberman-Wang has experience struggling firsthand. She never felt worthy or good enough in anything she did.
For years, Lisa replaced one bad habit with another all while searching for more through therapy and hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in self-help books, classes and seminars. She eventually came to realize that many of the so-called coaches out there did not have the answers, despite claims otherwise. Even therapy with some of the best psychologists simply re-opened old wounds week after week, until she felt worn raw.
Lisa decided that there had to be a better way. Twenty years ago she developed the FINE to FAB process of going from feeling F.I.N.E. (F’d Up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional) to being F.A.B. (Fabulous, Awesome, Beautiful) without blame, shame, or years of therapy. The process is based on the best strategies that she learned and used it to heal herself and now others.
With the creation of the 7 Secrets to FAB and a supportive network of women and men experiencing the same struggles. Lisa discovered what it meant to truly feel fulfilled. Since that time, she has dedicated her life to helping others, find that same inner peace, happiness and freedom by sharing this process. She teaches people to F.L.Y., First Love Yourself! When you dedicate yourself to becoming FAB, you have the opportunity to finally root out the source of your unhappiness and get rid of it.