Ammonia leak prompts Norwich building evacuation

(Image: Shutterstock)

NORWICH, Conn. (WTNH) — A gaseous ammonia leak caused a food storage warehouse to be evacuated of all personnel early Tuesday morning.

Just after 1:15 a.m., workers at the U.S. Foods warehouse at 222 Otrobando Avenue reported the leak. Workers described a gaseous ammonia leak from a line on a compressor that was being used for refrigeration within the warehouse.

The building was evacuated due to the toxic nature of the material. A Haz-Mat team from the Sub Base Fire Department arrived at the warehouse, and began ventilating the building.

After the Haz-Mat team determined the warehouse was safe, workers were allowed back in. Business has resumed to normal at the warehouse.

Comments are closed.