Hoverboard at Houston-area mall catches fire

(Image: Shutterstock)


HUMBLE, Texas (AP) — Smoke briefly filled part of a large Houston-area shopping mall after a hoverboard caught fire.

Police in the northeast Houston suburb of Humble say security staff at the Deerbrook Mall used a fire extinguisher to put out the small blaze Monday afternoon at a kiosk that sells the motorized two-wheel skateboard-like scooters.

No injuries have been reported. The blaze was out by the time firefighters arrived.

Hoverboards have been popular gift items this Christmas but concerns have surfaced over the potential fire danger from lithium-ion batteries that power the devices. They’ve been banned from the three largest U.S. airlines.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s