HUMBLE, Texas (AP) — Smoke briefly filled part of a large Houston-area shopping mall after a hoverboard caught fire.
Police in the northeast Houston suburb of Humble say security staff at the Deerbrook Mall used a fire extinguisher to put out the small blaze Monday afternoon at a kiosk that sells the motorized two-wheel skateboard-like scooters.
No injuries have been reported. The blaze was out by the time firefighters arrived.
Hoverboards have been popular gift items this Christmas but concerns have surfaced over the potential fire danger from lithium-ion batteries that power the devices. They’ve been banned from the three largest U.S. airlines.