New Mexico couple saved after car stranded under 12 feet of snow

(Photo: Bill Kshir)

CLOVIS, N.M. (KRQE) – Parts of New Mexico are still a dangerous mess Monday night after a winter storm slammed much of the state.

News 8’s sister station KRQE heard about the efforts to save people who got caught up in the middle of it.

One New Mexico couple suddenly found themselves trapped in their car under more than 12 feet of snow.

It was a close call. One that left a couple out delivering newspapers trapped in their car for nearly 20 hours.

People were on the outside trying everything to get them out.

“When we got down there, the wind was blowing like crazy. You couldn’t see the hood of the vehicle you were driving,” said Bill Kshir.

Clovis city worker Bill Kshir says they heard Saturday night the couple had been buried in their car two miles southeast of Clovis.

But with wind gusts up to 60 miles per hour, 12 feet high snow drifts completely covering the car and complete darkness they couldn’t pin point exactly where the couple was.

“They had put a mark there, a little area in the snow they throught they would recognize. But the wind had blown so bad they had lost track of where it was again. Eventually the bulldozer was overheating and having problems and it gave out on us,” said Kshir.

Kshir and two other volunteers in bulldozers and a tractor spent hours trying to locate the car as the couple on their cell phones tried guiding them.

They had to be careful not to drive over the car they couldn’t see. They were just about to stop searching when they found the car.

“I kicked a hole in the windshield after having them move back out of the way and Ty and I were able to lift them through,” said Kshir.

Emergency crews across the southeast have been searching for others stranded. The National Guard was even brought in.

“The ambulance coverage for the county’s been very difficult. We couldn’t get out to some of those people. Thankfully our local citizens and farmers especially with their big tractors have been able to help,” Clovis Fire Department Chief Mike Nolen.

The chief took a ride in a news helicopter to check out all areas and by the end of Monday, a few more sighs of relief.

So how did the couple get in this bind in the first place? KRQE spoke to them late Monday night and they said the wind was so strong it blew them into a ditch and they were stuck.

They are now okay.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s