HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Hartford Fire companies worked to extinguish flames caused by an overloaded power strip. The residual damage left five families displaced on New Year’s Eve.
At 4:32 p.m. on Thursday, crews from the Hartford Fire Department responded to 10 Orange Street on a report of a structure fire. The call specified it was a mattress fire on the first floor.
On scene, firefighters discovered that the fire, issuing from the left front and left side of the building, was extending quickly to the second and third floors, as well as the attic. By gaining control of the fast-moving flames, crews contained the fire damage to one side of the building.
The building is comprised of six residential units, all of which were occupied. While there were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported, the American Red Cross helped to relocate five families displaced by the damage, including ten adults, five children, four dogs, and three cats.
An investigation led by the Hartford Fire Department confirmed the flames broke out around an overloaded power strip.