Southport man arrested after leading police on high-speed chase

WESTPORT, Conn. (WTNH) – A Southport man is in police custody after breaking into a home and then leading police on a high-speed chase down I-95.

Westport Police tell News 8 that Kenneth Nichols, 50, was found inside a home when the people who live there returned home.

Police said after getting a description of his vehicle, they spotted his truck on the Sherwood Island Connector and attempted to stop him.

Westport Police chased Nichols, who attempted to ram his car into officers who were chasing him as they merged onto I-95 North.

Connecticut State Police saw Nichols’ vehicle after Westport Police lost sight of him. State Police continued the pursuit.

Nichols was eventually arrested by Stratford Police after he jumped out of his car.

Westport officers responded to the scene and took Nichols into their custody.

Nichols faces a number of charges ranging from burglary to engaging police in a pursuit. He’s being held on $50,000 bond.

Nichols is set to appear in court on January 11.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s