NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – Keeping you and your family safe as a winter storm heads our way with eight winter storm Health tips.
1. Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning. Don’t run a generator inside your home, not even in the garage. Be sure to clear snow from outside vents and the tailpipe of a running vehicle.
2. Snow shovel safety. Use your leg muscles to avoid back injury. Push the snow if possible, lift lighter loads, and take frequent breaks. Be sure to stay hydrated.
3. Heart health. Shoveling and the cold temps put a lot of stress on your heart. Have someone else do it if you are at risk for a heart attack.
4. Snow blower safety. If it gets stuck – do not use your hand to clear it out. Use a broom handle or the tools that comes with the machine. Emergency doctors tell me they expect to see this every winter.
5. Dress properly. Cover up in layers from head to toe to prevent frostbite and hypothermia.
6. 3-Foot Rule. Keep that space heater at least three feet away from anything flammable.
7. Don’t forget your furry friends. Bring them inside.
8. If you need it, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Stay warm and safe this weekend.