With temperatures this cold, pipes can freeze! Here are some tips to avoid your pipes from freezing:
- Keep your heat turned up, now is not the time to conserve energy.
- If you have pipes on an outside wall, open cabinets, closets, or crawl spaces where they may be able to get heat in the area.
- If your neighbor is away contact them if you can and ask them if they turned the heat down or off in their units. This is common for folks that go on vacation or to Florida for the winter. Urge them to turn the heat up or have it turned up if at all possible.
- Run water slowly if you cannot get heat to hidden pipe areas.
- If you are a business owner and have a sprinkler system make sure your building is kept warm 24/7 and if you have a “dry” system make sure the compressor is operating properly.
- Know where your water shut off is in case of a break.
- If you have a frozen pipe(s) shut the water off and call a licensed plumber for help.
Thanks for reading!
-Meteorologist Kevin Arnone