HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — If you’re worried about getting your taxes ready this year, Quinnipiac University accounting students will be offering free tax prep sessions in Hamden.
The free tax prep services will be available at the Keefe Community Center at 11 Pine Street in Hamden. The students will be lending a hand through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sessions, which means you can get help preparing your taxes free of charge if you make less than $54,000 a year.
Sessions will happen every Thursday starting today and running through April 14th, except for Saint Patrick’s Day (March 17th). Anyone who is interested can walk in between 3pm and 8pm, no appointments are required. Before you head to one of the sessions, make sure you have all of the right documents with you.
- Proof of identification and birth dates for family members;
- Social Security cards or individual taxpayer ID number for family members;
- Documentation for all income from work, social security or pensions, including W-2, 1099-R and 1099-Misc forms;
- Documentation for all income from interest, dividends and capital gains, including 1099-INT, 1099-DIV and 1099-B forms;
- Total amount paid for mortgage interest and real estate taxes;
- Total amount paid for child and dependent care (must bring day care provider’s address and tax ID number;
- Health insurance exemption certificate, if received;
- All 1095 forms and health insurance statements;
- Other deductions, including property taxes paid to town or city;
- Education expenses and student loan payments;
- Bank routing and account numbers to direct deposit refunds;
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
- To file a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.