Kalamazoo Shooting Suspect Sues Uber for $10 Million

This image provided by the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office shows Jason Dalton of Kalamazoo County. Dalton was arrested early Sunday, Feb. 21, 2016 in downtown Kalamazoo following a massive manhunt after several victims were shot at random. (Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office via AP)


(ABC News) — The Uber driver accused of going on a deadly shooting rampage that left six people dead and injured two in Kalamazoo, Michigan, is now suing the transportation company, according to a handwritten complaint filed Tuesday.

Jason Dalton, 45, is demanding $10 million from Uber in punitive damages, according to the complaint.

“I worked years as a Uber contractor and they ripped me off, never paid me back wages or overtime,” Dalton said in the complaint, which is dated March 11. “I busted my butt for them.”

In a statement, Uber said Dalton refuses to take responsibility for his own actions.

“It’s hard to know how to respond to someone who refuses to take responsibility for his own actions,” the statement read. “Our hearts go out to the victims’ families who have to live with the consequences of his terrible crimes.”

Dalton’s grievances with Uber didn’t end there. He described the car service company as a “hostile workplace environment” that treated him like a second-class citizen. He also said Uber didn’t give him a Christmas bonus, didn’t invite him to corporate parties, made him work when he was sick and didn’t let him spend time with his two children.

“Uber treats their drivers like crap,” Dalton wrote.

Dalton also said that Uber discriminated against his “mental health” and that the company “ruined” his life.

“I’m currently in prison because of Uber,” Dalton wrote. “My wife is divorcing me because of Uber.”

Dalton ended the letter by expressing his wish for the lawsuit to be tried in front of jury. He signed the letter, “Respectfully submitted, Jason Brian Dalton.”

Dalton, a Kalamazoo resident, was arrested on Feb. 21 after allegedly going on a shooting rampage in three separate incidents the day before. He was charged with six counts of murder, two counts of assault with intent to commit murder and eight charges of using a firearm during the commission of a felony. He plead not guilty in an arraignment on Feb. 22.

He later told police that he believed the Uber app was controlling him.

“… It feels like it is coming from the phone itself, like an artificial presence,” Dalton told investigators, according to a police report obtained by ABC News.

A spokesperson for Uber refuted that statement.

“Driver’s decide what they want to do with the app,” a representative for Uber told ABC News.

Dalton’s attorney, Eusebio Solis, was not aware of the lawsuit, he told ABC News.

Earlier this month, Dalton’s defense attorney had requested, and a judge ordered that Dalton undergo an examination to determine whether he is mentally competent to stand trial.

ABC News’ Shahriar Rahmanzadeh, Esther Castillejo and Michael DelMoro contributed to this report.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s