(WTNH) – It’s Grill-cheese day and to celebrate Food Blooger Dina Deleasa-Gonsar is in the Bender Kitchen sharing an awesome grilled cheese recipe sure to please.
DishItGirl.com is a food blog Dina started about 5 years ago. Dina shares great tips and recipes.
Grilled Cheese Recipes
Grilled Cheese Croutons
4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices country white bread or sourdough
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat a grill pan or a non-stick frying pan.
- Place the four slices of bread on a cutting board and brush lightly with the melted butter, even the crust part.
- Turn the slices over and pile Gruyere on two of the slices. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the Gruyere, buttered sides up.
- Grill the sandwiches for about 3 minutes on each side, until you see each side brown. Then place them on a cutting board and let them rest for two minutes.
- Then cut them into 1-inch cubes.
Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
3 lbs. ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28 oz) can whole plum tomatoes, with juice
4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
4 cups chicken stock low sodium
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss the tomatoes with ¼ cup olive oil. Layer on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent and starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the juices. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or large food processor and puree.
French Toast Grilled Cheese
4 Thick cut sllices of Challah or Broiche Bread
1 Tablespoon butter
1 tsp Cinnamon
½ cup Mascarpone Cheese
½ Tablespoon of Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup raspberries, chopped
½ cup blackberries, chopped
- Heat a grill pan or a non stick frying pan over medium low heat.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and the cinnamon
- In another small bowl mix together the mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Set aside
- Place one tablespoon of butter in the pan. Dip one piece of the bread in the egg mixture on both sides then place into the pan. Let it cook one side for about a minute and a half until it starts to brown. Flip it over and cook the other side. Set aside on a plate. Repeat the process with a second piece of bread.
- Once you have flipped the second piece of bread over onto its second side top it with the mascarpone cheese, chopped berries, and place the first piece of bread over it. Letting the sandwich heat through. (Repeat this process for a second sandwich!)
- Remove from the pan, cut in half and serve! More syrup over top is optional!