HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH/AP) —As law makers are trying to balance the budget and recover more than $200 million in cost overruns, the layoffs notices are going out. Governor Malloy says there could be as many as 2,000, and even 4,000 layoffs are not out of the question.
165 workers were asked to leave their jobs on Monday, both union and non-union, full-time, part-time and temporary.
The layoffs were projected to save the state $27.6 million.
Last week, 147 notices went out to the Department of Correction. Officers there will be laid off by seniority, meaning that some of the brand-new officers that have just finished the training academy will be the first to go. Union leaders around the state reacted harshly.
Larry Dorman of the AFSCME council released a statement reading:
“I think it’s disgraceful that our Governor is playing political football with the lives of dedicated public service workers. The governor says the state’s budget situation is horrible, but his administration has given the workers we represent their six weeks’ notice to stay home with pay, and will force the remaining employees to work overtime. What would taxpayers say to this?”
The laid-off DCF workers include staff at the Connecticut Juvenile Training School in Middletown. The DMHAS layoffs stem from various program closures and reduced hours for mobile crisis programs.
The new fiscal year that begins July 1 is estimated to be as much as $933 million in deficit. Malloy said Monday the layoff process will “go on for a while.”
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.