(WTNH) – Welcoming a new pet into the family is such a joyous occasion. If you are considering adopting a fury friend this National Pet Day, Dana Humphrey, AKA the “Pet Lady” has 5 great tips to help you get started.
- Start slow & quiet: No celebration or welcome home party.
- Limit their world: Limit the amount of space that the pet has access to at first. Limit the number of people and animals the pet meets at first too.
- Food Adjustment: Switch slowly to a new food to help them adjust. Also go easy on the treats.
- Behavior issues: Consider getting a dog trainer right away. A trainer keeps you honest and on track. Even if you think you are a savvy pet owner, be open to new ideas, as every dog and cat is different.
- Vet check: Even if your new rescue dog has had their shots, they may need boosters or need to be heart worm tested. Don’t assume they’ve had all they need.
Dana Humphrey AKA “The Pet Lady” travels from Coast to Coast to pet trade shows and consumer events such as Superzoo, Global Pet Expo, Intergroom, Pet News Now, NAVC, Total Pet Expo, Super Pet Expo and “mutts” more, to scout out the hottest, hippest and most unique pet products on the planet! Bringing you tips and tricks from the top vets, groomers, trainers on how to safely travel and live happy with your pet! From Fox, ABC, NBC and other media outlets “The Pet Lady” will be in a city near you soon, showing off the latest and greatest tech pet gadgets, cozy comforts and fab gift idea’s for man’s (and woman’s) best friend!