WASHINGTON (AP) — Metro says a station in northwest Washington has been shut down after an electrical fire on the tracks.
The fire Wednesday morning caused tunnels to fill with smoke at the Friendship Heights station. That’s the same spot where another fire occurred Saturday. Metro reported that Saturday’s fire was caused by a foreign object that came into contact with the electrified third rail.
Metro says Wednesday’s fire was caused by a problem with the power cables. Faulty power cables have been blamed for several fires over the last two years, including one in January 2015 that killed one passenger and sickened more than 80 others.
District of Columbia fire department spokesman Doug Buchanan says firefighters are on the scene but no one has been taken to a hospital.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.