Motor may have caused egg farm fire

(WTNH Report It!)


LEBANON, Conn. (WTNH) — Video sent in by News8 viewer Kurt Bender, shows there wasn’t much firefighters could do to stop a massive fire from destroying chicken coop number 53 at the Moark Egg Farm but they were able to stop it from spreading to the coops next to it.

There are 13 coops on the Lebanon farm and they’re all connected by an automated conveyer belt system which sends all the eggs to a central processing plant.

27 years ago to the day another fire destroyed two coops killing a total of 216,000 chickens.

(WTNH - Tina Detelj)
(WTNH – Tina Detelj)

“It is a large production here. Largest in New England that I know of,” said Lebanon Fire Marshall Scott Shuett.

“Traveled through that main conveyer belt system and so we worked real quick to make sure that didn’t happen,” says Lebanon Fire Lt. Jay Schall.

Firefighters were successful in keeping the fire to one coop but still 80,000 birds were killed.

(WTNH - Tina Detelj)
(WTNH – Tina Detelj)

Related Content: Crews battle Lebanon chicken coop fire

“It is a large production here. Largest in New England that I know of,” says Scott Shuett who is Lebanon’s fire marshal. He has now witnessed both fires and both losses.

“I’m gonna guess at least one egg per chicken so that’s 80,000 thousand eggs right there,” says Shuett.

(WTNH - Tina Detelj)
(WTNH – Tina Detelj)

“I don’t really think we’re going to see an impact in the supermarket,” says Todge Armata who owns Ted’s Foods in nearby Hebron.

He says while 80 thousand is a lot there are millions of chickens in the region and most likely close to a million on this farm alone.

“They probably have a cycle of chickens coming along that can fill in the process and fill in the void of the eggs,” says Armata.

Firefighters are now literally digging for answers using an excavator. Back in 1989 a fan seized and overheated causing that fire which didn’t stop this longtime egg operation.

“The management is desperately trying to get back up and operational as quick as possible,” says Shuett. “I know the other side is fine and there was no damage to the egg processing part of it.”

Shuett says it is more likely than not that at least one motor in the coop’s conveyor belt system overheated causing Tuesday’s fire.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s