FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WTNH) — Fairfield firefighters battled a kitchen fire early on Tuesday evening that they say “could have resulted in extreme tragedy” if it had occurred overnight.
On Tuesday around 5:30 p.m., Fairfield firefighters were dispatched to 182 Alden Street on a call reporting black smoke issuing from the home’s front door. Upon their arrival under two minutes later, crews confirmed a heavy fire in the kitchen of the two-story, wood frame home.
Crews worked from the basement to shut off utilities, and from the second floor, to check for fire extension, and that all occupants had gotten out safely.
The Fire Marshal investigated, determining that the fire appeared to have originated in the area of the dishwasher. He and others from the Fire Marshal’s Office and Building Department
Fairfield Fire Department’s Assistant Chief Gomola notes the importance of working fire detectors.
“Given the lack of working smoke detectors we are extremely fortunate this fire happened when it did. If this fire had occurred during the middle of the night it could have resulting in extreme tragedy. The importance of checking smoke detectors and insuring that they are in proper working order cannot be overstated.”