HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — There are signs budget negotiations will resume at the Connecticut state Capitol.
Majority Democratic leaders on Thursday unveiled a revised plan to cover a projected $920 million deficit in the new fiscal year beginning July 1. Instead of holding a vote on that proposal, as promised last week, lawmakers said they hope it will be a basis for talks with Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and possibly the minority Republicans.
House Speaker Brendan Sharkey said the plan “protects Democratic priorities,” such as local education and hospital funding.
Earlier Thursday, Malloy said it was “unimaginable” that he’d sign a budget passed by the legislature that wasn’t negotiated with his administration. His spokesman later said Malloy has “serious concerns” with the Democrats’ proposal, but welcomed bipartisan negotiations.
The session ends May 4.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.