Baseball scraps Puerto Rico series amid Zika concerns

FILE - This Feb. 6, 2015, file photo, shows Hiram Bithorn Stadium as Puerto Rico plays the Dominican Republic at the Caribbean Series baseball tournament in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Baseball has scrapped a series in Puerto Rico between the Pirates and Marlins amid concerns over the Zika virus. Major League Baseball and the players' union made the announcement Friday, May 6, 2016. The two games scheduled for San Juan on May 30-31 will instead be played in Miami. (AP Photo/Ricardo Arduengo, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — Zika virus concerns have forced the Pirates-Marlins series out of Puerto Rico, with the two games instead shifted to Miami this month.

Major League Baseball and the players’ union made the announcement Friday. Pittsburgh and Miami will meet May 30-31 at Marlins Park.

The union had asked Commissioner Rob Manfred to relocate the games after several players expressed fears about getting and possibly transmitting the Zika virus.

Related Content: More Zika precautions for Connecticut residents

“The risk was too significant,” Pirates pitcher Gerrit Cole said before Friday night’s game at St. Louis.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said Zika can cause a birth defect called microcephaly, where infants are born with unusually small heads. The virus is most often spread by mosquito bites, but it also can be spread through sexual intercourse.

“It was a tough decision for us, it was a tough issue,” Cole said. “In the end, after the thorough presentation by the CDC, there was just significant concerns for players and players families potentially expecting kids and people who may or may not be pregnant.”

Related Content: Travelers being warned about visiting areas with Zika

The CDC had spoken to players and staff from the Pirates and Marlins about the potential risks.

“You trust the process that the union and the league is going to do what’s best for everyone and make sure they take care of everyone,” Marlins manager Don Mattingly said before a game against Philadelphia.

Manfred said “players who objected to the trip because of their specific family situations should not be forced to travel to Puerto Rico,” MLB and the union said in a release.

“Because too many regulars on both clubs fell into that category, Commissioner Manfred had no choice but to relocate the games,” it said.

Pittsburgh and the Marlins were originally scheduled to play the series in Miami when the draft of the schedule was made last year. On Nov. 19, MLB said the games would be played in Puerto Rico, the homeland of Pirates Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente and many other big leaguers.

MLB has played several regular-season games at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan in the past. MLB said it hoped to play again in Puerto Rico sometime in the future.

“Go visit my beautiful Puerto Rico !! Still dont understand why MLB cancel the games down in PR! Wow!” tweeted Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina, who’s from the island.

Puerto Rico has had 785 confirmed Zika cases, including its first death from the virus.

Related Content: Congress heads out with no resolution on Zika, Puerto Rico

“It’s ironic that athletes are willing to go to Brazil to the Olympics and don’t want to come to Puerto Rico,” Puerto Rico governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla recently told local newspaper El Nuevo Dia.

Brazil is at the center of the Zika outbreak, putting Olympic host Rio de Janeiro in the spotlight with 10,500 athletes and up to 500,000 foreign tourists expected for South America’s first games.

Nothing has been canceled at the Games, and nearly all athletes still plan to compete.

On Wednesday, Garcia Padilla said Miami and Tampa also have Zika cases, and suggested players who asked for the games to be moved “are not very smart.”

“It’s kind of bittersweet,” Pirates infielder/outfielder Sean Rodriguez said. “Kind of want to go to Puerto Rico, but at the same time not under the circumstances with the way things are looking and a lot of guys maybe trying to start a family or people who already have one.”

The decision to shift the games from Puerto Rico is another blow to an island mired in recession and unable to pay $72 billion in public debt. The U.S. territory has been suffering through more than a decade of economic decline since Congress phased out tax cuts that made the island a center for pharmaceutical and medical equipment manufacturing.

Puerto Rico missed nearly $370 million on a bond payment Monday and officials warned of worse to come without relief from Congress. Garcia Padilla said he had no choice but to suspend the debt payment to avoid cutting essential public services such as schools and medical care.

MLB and the union will make contributions to help combat Zika in Puerto Rico. Also, Manfred and several former players plan to hold youth clinics and events on the island later this month.

Officials with the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, a public corporation responsible for promoting the island, told The Associated Press that they believed the decision was the wrong one.

Related Content: US officials: The more we learn about Zika, scarier it is

“We are extremely disappointed. The reality of the situation with Zika in Puerto Rico does not justify a cancellation, but we have to respect their decision,” said Mari Jo Laborde, chief sales and marketing director for the tourism company.

Anaymir “Tuti” Munoz, a top official with MB Sports, organizer and promoter of the series in Puerto Rico, told newspaper El Nuevo Dia that the announcement came as a blow after days of phone calls trying to salvage the games.

“We are sorry because a lot of work was put into this. In the future, we will continue working to bring major league games to Puerto Rico,” Munoz told the newspaper.

Pirates President Frank Coonelly said that because of the health concerns the team supported the decision to shift the series.

“We are saddened by the circumstances in Puerto Rico and elsewhere that led to this decision,” he said in a statement.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s