NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – If you’re not heading to Rio to the Olympics this year, bring the Rio to you! Chef Leticia Moreinos Schwartz, author of “The Brazilian Kitchen,” and “My Rio de Janeiro: A Cookbook” shares an awesome green bean recipe.
For more information, head to www.chefleticia.com
Recipe: Green Beans with Feta Cheese and Brazil Nuts
- 1½ lbs string beans, both ends trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup Brazil nuts
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a steamer or a pot fitted with a steaming basket, bring the water to a boil and place the string beans. Season with kosher salt, cover the pot, and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the beans and transfer to the iced water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove from the ice water and spread the beans on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb any extra water. Let it air dry for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl whisk together the garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion.
- Place the beans in a bowl and pour enough dressing over to coat lightly, (reserve the rest for another use). Toss with the cheese, red onion and grade the Brazil nuts over the string beans with a microplaine.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.