NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Foodie and blogger Jenn Press Arata is in the Bender kitchen sharing a recipe that’s perfect as a summertime treat.
That’s SO Jenn, Confessions of a Foodie is a food and lifestyle website offering original step-by-step recipes, chef interviews, party planning tips, restaurant reviews and parenting stories relating food to life. Jenn Press Arata is a monthly guest on CT Style, and has appeared on Good Day New York and WPIX Morning News. Her children’s book, Sweet Dreams, will be published by this summer. Learn more at www.thatssojenn.com
For Vanilla Cake:
- Butter or cooking spray for greasing
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Key lime:
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Nelly and Joe’s Key lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 crackers if you do it yourself)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Fresh whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch rectangular baking pan. Beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat for another minute until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don’t overbeat.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
For Key lime:
- Once cooled, poke holes over the top of the cake using a fork or toothpick.
- In a small bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice.
- Pour key lime mixture over the cake, soaking it into prepared holes. Smooth with a spatula if necessary.
- Crush graham crackers in an airtight back using a kitchen mallet.
- Top cake with graham cracker crumbs and sprinkle with coconut. Serve with fresh whipped cream if desired.
- Eat and enjoy the feeling of being on vacation!