(WTNH)–If you plan on setting off fireworks this holiday weekend there is a safety checklist you should go through.
News 8’s Stephanie Simoni has your back with exactly what you need to know before lighting them up.
A lot of fireworks are not legal in the state, but sparklers and fountains are ok.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. Designate one person to light fireworks. This will avoid confusion and too much at once.
2. Be aware of where they are. Don’t leave them in your pocket, keep them away from you even before lit and away from open grills or any open flame.
3. If young people are using sparklers they need to be supervised because they burn very hot.
4. Keep pets indoors if you plan on lighting them off.
5. Do not drink and spark. If you’re the one drinking any alcohol leave the fireworks to someone else.
6. Always light them on pavement, conditions are too dry for grass, it could cause a brush fire.
7. If it looks like the firework is a dud, just leave it alone for twenty minutes.
then drop it in water.
8. Keep that bucket handy. You should always have one close by.