Teen reportedly dies from stroke caused by hickey

Photo: Bigstock photo

MEXICO CITY (WTNH)– A 17-year-old boy in Mexico has reportedly died after a hickey on his neck led to a stroke.

According to the Daily Mail, Julio Macias Gonzalez was home in Mexico City with his family when he died after having convulsions. Paramedics rushed to the scene but were unable to save the teen.

Media outlets in Mexico are reporting that the teen died from a hickey on his neck, given to him by his 24-year-old girlfriend. Doctors said the bruise caused a blood clot, which then traveled to his brain and resulted in a stroke.

This isn’t the first time a hickey has caused a medical problem. According to the New Zealand Medical Journal, in 2010 a 44-year-old woman suffered a stroke caused by a hickey, but survived.

Doctors say death or strokes from hickeys are possible but very rare.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s