NEW HAVEN Conn. (WTNH) — With Tropical Storm Hermine making it’s way up the Atlantic coast, you may want to keep the Labor Day parties indoors.
A Portuguese style clam bake is an easy way to impress your families friends in one hour while only using one pot.
Showing us how to make the one pot clam bake is Bill Marinelli.
Ingredients you need for the clam bake:
- First Layer:
- Olive Oil
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, smashed
- 1 lb. chorizo sausage, cut into large rings
- ½ cup fresh fennel bulb, sliced
- ½ cup Vinho Verde (white wine)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup clam broth
- ½ lb. small baby potatoes, sliced
- Second Layer – Bring on the Seafood:
- 1 lb. shell on and deveined shrimp
- 24 little neck clams, scrubbed
- 1 lb. mussels, scrubbed
- 1 lb. sea scallops
- 2 small lobsters (optional)
- 2 ears of fresh corn, cut in half
- 1 large peeled and seeded local tomato
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, washed and spun for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut in half
How to Make the clam bake:
- First Layer
- In a large pot with a cover, heat the olive oil over medium heat
- Add the chorizo and slightly brown
- Add the garlic and fennel, slightly brown
- Add the white wine, clam broth, and water
- Add the potatoes, cover and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes
- Second Layer
- Add all the seafood and corn, cover and cook over medium heat until clams/mussels are opened and fish is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato, lemon and a few sprigs of cilantro, cook briefly
- Pour the contents of the pot onto a large platter and serve with grilled or oven warmed rustic bread slices.
4 servings per pot.