NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) –Chef Silvio Suppa, executive chef and owner of famed restaurants WoodWinds and Cafe Allegre shares a page out of his cookbook “Cooking with Chef Silvio” in a recipe for Spaghetti Alla Caprese
When his sons were younger, they would come home from school and Chef Silvio always had something for them to eat. This was their favorite light, easy meal to make. In the time that you cook the pasta, the dish is done!
SPAGHETTI ALLA CAPRESE
- 1 (16 ounce) box spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium mozzarella cheese ball, cubed
- Fresh basil chopped (to your liking)
- Parmigiano Cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions; drain and return to pot. (Set aside a few tablespoons of the pasta water)
- HEAT oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, basil, tomatoes and salt & pepper to taste; sauté just till garlic is lightly golden in color, do not overcook or garlic will burn. Tomatoes should still hold their shape and not get too soft.
- ADD the oil, garlic, bail, tomatoes mixture to the spaghetti and toss together. Add in the chopped mozzarella and the tablespoons of pasta water to bind and thicken for a slightly creamy texture.
- Pour out onto a large plate for family style eating and top with grated Parmigiano cheese (to your liking).
- This is a very quick dish to make that your whole family will love! If you want to add protein – top with whatever you have in the house. Chopped chicken, bacon; any meat or poultry that you like – be creative!