Former Stamford resident sentenced in murder for hire plot

STAMFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A former Stamford man has been sentenced for orchestrating a murder for hire scheme last year.

Larry Talledo-Torrejon, a citizen of Peru, will serve 10 years in prison followed by three years of supervised release, according to Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut. U.S. District Judge Vanessa L. Bryant also has ordered Talledo-Torrejon to pay a $150,000 fine.

According to court documents and statements made in court, in early Dec. 2015, Talledo-Torrejon, as part of a contract to purchase a restaurant in Stamford for $300,000, provided the seller of the restaurant with $150,000 in cashier checks and an additional $150,000 in checks drawn on bank accounts with insufficient funds.  On Dec. 5, Talledo-Torrejon directed an individual who owed him $5,000 to follow the manager of the restaurant, “G.R.”, to his home in New York and to murder him.  In exchange for doing so, Talledo-Torrejon agreed to forgive the $5,000 debt and to pay the individual an additional $5,000 in cash. The individual subsequently contacted law enforcement to report the incident, and then contacted Talledo-Torrejon to tell him that he had kidnapped G.R. and was holding him.

On Dec. 7, 2015, Talledo-Torrejon provided the individual with a manila folder containing two copies of a receipt that falsely stated that Talledo-Torrejon had provided G.R. with $150,000.  Talledo-Torrejon directed the individual to provide the receipts to G.R., coerce G.R. into signing them, and then kill him. Talledo-Torrejon told the individual that his pre-existing debt had been cancelled, and also suggested that they could start a business kidnapping and extorting money from people.

On Dec. 8, Talledo-Torrejon made a complaint with the Stamford Police Department falsely claiming that G.R. had stolen $150,000 that Talledo-Torrejon had provided G.R. to complete the purchase of the restaurant.

Talledo-Torrejon was arrested on Dec. 8, 2015, after the individual provided him with the receipts signed by G.R., and Talledo-Torrejon provided the individual with $500 in partial payment for the murder.

Talledo-Torrejon has been detained since his arrest. He pleaded guilty to the offense on June 15, 2016.