NEW HAVEN Conn. (WTNH) — When we think Halloween, we think about fall weather, apples and of course pumpkins. When it comes to decorating the pumpkins it can get messy.
Blogger, Charlotte Smith stopped by our station to show us ways to stop making a mess out of your kitchen when it comes to carving pumpkins.
Charlotte shows us five different ways we can decorate our pumpkins.
- Pumpkin planter
- Artificial pumpkins are fairly common this time of year. Grab a plant that’s a little smaller than one of your pumpkins and trace the pot circumference on the top of the pumpkin. Using a sharp blade, begin carving out the middle of the pumpkin. Continue until you have a hole in the pumpkin large enough to fit your pot. Place the plant inside and enjoy!
- Donut pumpkin
- Take advantage of mini-pumpkins and use craft paint to make a sweet treat. Paint ‘frosting’ on the top half, and then add sprinkles of your choice!
- Chalkboard pumpkin
- These are great as place settings too… pick up a can of chalk paint spray paint and give your pumpkins a few very light coats. Let dry and reach for your chalk.
- Confetti pumpkin
- Want something a little more chic for your Halloween decor? Pick up one of these white pumpkins and use Mod Podge or diluted school glue to add tissue paper dots.
- Paint Pen
- This will work on a real pumpkin, but is probably best suited for a faux pumpkin… Use craft store paint pens to doodle and create fun patterns on your pumpkin.
For more information on how to decorate these pumpkins watch the video above, and to read abut Charlotte you can head to her blog.