With plane wreck gone, East Hartford tries to return to normal

Investigators look at the remains of a small plane along Main St, Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016, in East Hartford, Conn., a day following the plane's crash. The FBI is taking over as lead investigator in the deadly crash of a small plane carrying a flight instructor and a student pilot because of indications that it might have been a criminal act, safety officials said Wednesday. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) – With multiple sources now confirming that Tuesday’s deadly plane crash was caused by a struggle in the cockpit, people in the area are now trying to return to normal.

Two days after a twin engine airplane crashed onto Main Street in East Hartford, pretty much all there is left to do is put up a couple new utility poles and string new power lines. It is amazing that there was not more damage, or more injuries, considering the fireball that plane became at around 3:40 p.m. Tuesday.

We now have a better idea or how it happened, although we are still not entirely sure why it happened. Authorities now say there was a struggle in the sky. Multiple sources confirm flight instructor Arian Prevalla told investigators he was fighting for control of the plane with his student, Feras Freitekh. Prevalla is in fair condition at Hartford Hospital’s burn unit. Freitekh died in the fiery crash. As for why Freitekh would want to crash the plane, law enforcement officials say they are not ruling anything out, but suicide seems more and more likely.

Related Content: NTSB official: East Hartford plane crash was ‘intentional’

“Pretty much it’s been the talk of the town the past couple of days,” said Chris Costello from behind the counter at Augie & Ray’s restaurant just half a mile away on Main Street. Rumors have been flying among customers.

“We’ve heard a number of different conspiracies, whether or not it was intentional,” Costello said. “Obviously, it was reported that it was a suicide now. It’s pretty crazy, though.”

Related Content: Witness recalls plane crash that killed student, injured pilot

At least Augie & Ray’s stayed open. The plane crashed right in front of a branch of a branch of American Eagle Credit Union. A generator on the roof kept the lights and computers on for employees, but the building remained closed to members again today. Fortunately, a parking lot light pole and a fence are the only physical damage to the property.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s