CHESHIRE, Conn. (WTNH)– A Cheshire elementary school dismissed students early Wednesday after several students became ill the day before.
The Superintendent of Schools announced that Highland Elementary School, located at 490 Highland Avenue, had an emergency early dismissal at 10:50 a.m. The early dismissal was for Highland Elementary School only.
Superintendent Jeff Solan says the ill students had elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their systems. There were also reports of other students suffering from diarrhea, a symptom not associated with carbon monoxide exposure.
Cheshire Schools maintenance staff, as well as members of Cheshire’s fire and police departments evaluated the Highland Elementary building, but originally no trace of carbon monoxide or other contaminates. Further examination determined that a malfunctioning boiler was releasing carbon monoxide into the air, and a rooftop air handling unit drew the higher carbon monoxide levels into the building. That boiler has since been deactivated.
The school will be disinfecting rooms where students felt ill, and school will be back in session Thursday morning.