Ghost pepper burns hole in man’s esophagus

(AP Photo)
(AP Photo)

(KRON)—Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital.

That is exactly what recently happened to one man. The details came out during a study by UCSF.

The culprit is a ghost pepper.

The man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest. It was so hot it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.

This is how hot the pepper is. In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at one million.

A habanero comes in at half-a-million. A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s