WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH)– A son whose mother is assumed lost at sea will not get to have a Mass said in his mother’s name. Not yet, at least.
The Hartford Courant is reporting Linda Carman’s sisters objected to the Mass because police are still investigating her disappearance.
First that newspaper reported Nathan Carman was holding a memorial Mass for his mother this Wednesday, then it reported the Hartford Archdiocese changed its mind and said no Mass.
You probably remember Nathan Carman. The 22-year-old spent eight days in a life raft before a freighter picked him up off Martha’s Vineyard last month. He had been fishing with his mother Linda in their small boat. He says there was a noise from the engine, the boat started sinking, he got in the raft, but lost sight of his mother.
A lot of people find that suspicious, especially since Nathan was also the last person to see his grandfather alive. His mother’s father was murdered three years ago. No one was ever charged. He was quite wealthy and courts are still working on distributing his millions to his four daughters. With one daughter now lost at sea, her share could go to her only child, Nathan.
Linda’s three sisters are the ones objecting to this memorial Mass. Their lawyer tells the Courant it would be “premature and inappropriate.” Nathan has a lawyer, too. He told the paper that his client is still hoping his mother will be found, but that he thinks it is time to begin the mourning process.
That’s why he wanted the mass at St. Thomas the Apostle in West Hartford. The archdiocese siding with the sisters, now calling off that Mass. A spokesperson not giving any reason why.
The paper reports police in four states are now involved in the case. They searched Nathan’s car, home, and phone. The search warrants say they are considering charging him with “operating a boat so as to endanger, resulting in death.”