NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – Chef Plum is in the Bender Kitchen sharing a delicious Butternut Squash and Apple Soup perfect for an appetizer to Thanksgiving or even to enjoy while watching football. Recipes like the soup will be featured on his new show “Edible Nutmeg” which features the best food of Connecticut and ingredients from Connecticut.
Check out Chef Plum’s new show “Edible Nutmeg” on WCTX on Saturday mornings.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 1 teas fresh garlic
- 1 full butternut squash peeled seeded rough chopped
- 1 qt veggie stock
- salt pepper
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1 teas nutmeg
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teas cinnamon
- 1 teas coriander
- creme fraiche to garnish
- butter to saute
- In a hot pot melt some butter and saute onions until translucent add the fresh garlic and stir careful not to brown
- add half the apple cider to de-glaze the pan and add the squash and seasonings
- pour in the stock as well and simmer covered, until squash softens.
- Transfer mixture into a blender or use a hand blender to puree, add the rest of the cider while mixing, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a bowl or cup with a little creme fraiche and a couple apple slices and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Learn more about Chef Plum by heading to www.plumluvfoods.com