(WTNH)– A reported 7.9 magnitude earthquake has struck New Zealand’s South Island this morning resulting in tsunami alerts and evacuations being issued. Here is what we know so far:
- 7.9 magnitude quake (by comparison, Bay Area quake of 1989 was a 6.9 magnitude)
- Several severe aftershocks have been felt
- Tsunami Alerts have been issued for New Zealand and the surrounding islands.
- Waves up to 7 feet have been reported thus far with the potential for more tsunami activity
- Evacuations are ongoing for much of the eastern coast of the South Island of New Zealand
- No impact from Tsunami to Hawaii or US coast expected
This is an developing situation and we will keep you updated on the latest information regarding the New Zealand earthquake and tsunami as the information comes in.