NEW HAVEN Conn. (WTNH) — What better way to use up some apples and get our house smelling like fall than by making some apple fritters.
New London culinary arts instructor, Chef Tomm Johnson stopped by our station to share a deliciously easy recipe.
Apple Fritters – Yield 12 fritters
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups granny smith apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- Finishing ingredient – 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or deep pan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour in the milk, eggs and oil and stir until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the apples until they are evenly distributed.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes depending on the size.
- Fry in smaller batches so they are not crowded.
- Remove from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.
- Toss with cinnamon sugar while still warm and enjoy your apple fritters.
For more information on the apple fritters just watch the video above, and for more recipes from Chef Tomm you can head to his website.