Sandy Hook victims lawsuit moves toward State Supreme Court

11-15-sandy-hook


BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) — The father of Dylan Hockley describes the horror his family and many others live with.

“He stared down the barrel of a military grade weapon. Dylan who was shot at least 5 times, we are not really sure due to the horrific injuries he sustained,” said Ian Hockley.

He along with others on hand in Bridgeport Tuesday for the next step in a court case, that really never got going.

“The Sandy Hook families did not even get a chance to put their case on because the judge ruled out of hand that they could not even bring the suit,” said Tara Knight, News 8 Legal Expert.

Now, the family members of the Sandy Hook victims are appealing to the states highest court.

“These are new issues – they come up in the law from time to time, we are really going to end up where we need to be. Where we always felt we were going to end up,” said Josh Koskoff, an Attorney with Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.

To set a precedent, the families believe the state Supreme Court should decided whether the sellers of the AR-15 Bushmaster rifle should be held accountable.

It will be a long fight with an impact that cannot be overstated if successful.

“It could go all the way to the U.S Supreme Court, this is this kind of case, such an unusual kind of case, it involves fire arms, Second Amendment rights, gun manufactures, NRA, family victims. It could be a case that ends up somewhere down the line something that ends up at the U.S Supreme Court,” said Knight.

An impact is already being made on different level.

Nicole Hockley, mother of 6-year-old Dylan Hockley has been a leader in creating awareness to decrease gun violence across the country.

“I’ve been in the reddest of red states, and bluest of blue states and there is one universal thing we have in common is to protect our kids,” said Nicole Hockley.

Just last month, Hockley was named one of People magazine’s “25 Women Changing the World.”

She was asked if she would sit down with President-Elect Trump to discuss gun violence in the United States.

“I will never say no to having an open conversation with anybody, regardless of their stated or unstated beliefs. Because without conversation we are not going to see progress,” said Hockley.
She added she did not believe there would be any reason for Trump to want to talk to her, but did say “stranger things have happened”.

Remington has not responded to request for comment.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s