NEW HAVEN Conn. (WTNH) — Procrastination is an easy trap to fall into, especially if one is distracted by electronics, disorganization, well being, and poor time management. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, here’s what to do about it to get on the path to focus and success.
Michelle Sagalyn, CEO Founder of Successful Study Skills 4 Student stopped by our station and said there are four symptoms and cures for procrastination.
- Are you distracted?
- In this era when multi-tasking is considered a strength, think again .
- Studies have proven that doing many activities at once leads to substantially less than optimum results.
- “Multi-tasking interruptions as brief as even 2-3 seconds are enough to double the number of errors made.
- Repeated multi-tasking causes even more distracted behavior.”
- When one is distracted it takes a lot longer to complete an assignment because one has to resent one focus. So eliminate all distractions and focus on the task at hand to it done efficiently.
- Are you stressed?
- When student become overwhelmed they sometimes don’t know where to start – and so they procrastinate.
- Cure this problem- make a to-do list and put it on the calendar or planner
- Do you know how?
- Another reason students procrastinate is because they don’t know how to study – and if you don’t know how, you don’t even want to start.
- The key to solving problems, is to identify what they are.
- A guidance counselor can very helpful in helping identify the problem, and offer helpful solutions.
- Are you motivated or not?
- Is an attitude adjustment needed?
- If you are not interested in a topic, it stands to reason that you avoid wanting to tackle it.
- The best way to getting around this hurdle, is to just start it.
- Sometimes, taking the first steps helps one kick into gear, and thus becomes a motivator for further action.
- This may mean accepting that not all subjects or assignments will be of interest to you, but nonetheless have to be tackled.
For more information from Michelle you can head to her website.