BRISTOL, Conn. (WTNH) — The Bristol Police Department has established a special holiday patrol to prevent theft and robberies in the community. The goal of the Robbery Intervention detail, or RID, is to prevent robberies and increase the rate of apprehension.
The department will begin on November 25th and will be active until the end of the year. With the holiday season, incidents of theft and robbery tend to increase in communities as the RID will focus on robbery prone areas such as convenience stores, shopping malls, and banks.
Still, the department urges shoppers to follow the following tips to stay safe during the holidays.
- Stay alert when shopping.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially walking to your car.
- Keep cash and credit cards out of sight.
- Be aware of strangers that approach you.
- Do not leave valuables unattended in shopping carts or vehicles.
- Park in well-lit areas
- Use an ATM in safe locations
- Report suspicious activities to law enforcement.