Beware of ‘holiday hazards’ in your home

(Lee Ruk/Creative Commons)
(Lee Ruk/Creative Commons)

(WTNH/CNN) – We’ve got your back with a warning about some potential holiday hazards in your home.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission warns that candles and trees can pose fire risks.

Candles put too close to drapes or other fabric can cause a fire in seconds.

“We never want to see unattended candles or candles that are too close to a tree or to any decorations or, of course, a tree too close to any type of radiator or heat source,” Elliot F. Kaye, the Consumer Product Safety Commission chairman, said.

Not watering a Christmas tree also poses a danger – especially if it is decorated with lights.

“You want to make sure that there are no exposed wires, any of the sockets that are not in properly; anything that looks funny about the lights, just throw them out and get a new one. Get a new set,” Kaye said.

Parents might also want to place small ornaments out of the reach of children, so they do not put them in their mouth.

Keep an eye on fragile or glass decorations. Any breaks could cause cuts and scratches.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s