(WTNH/CNN) – We’ve got your back with a warning about some potential holiday hazards in your home.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission warns that candles and trees can pose fire risks.
Candles put too close to drapes or other fabric can cause a fire in seconds.
“We never want to see unattended candles or candles that are too close to a tree or to any decorations or, of course, a tree too close to any type of radiator or heat source,” Elliot F. Kaye, the Consumer Product Safety Commission chairman, said.
Not watering a Christmas tree also poses a danger – especially if it is decorated with lights.
“You want to make sure that there are no exposed wires, any of the sockets that are not in properly; anything that looks funny about the lights, just throw them out and get a new one. Get a new set,” Kaye said.
Parents might also want to place small ornaments out of the reach of children, so they do not put them in their mouth.
Keep an eye on fragile or glass decorations. Any breaks could cause cuts and scratches.