Milford’s Jonathan Law High School dismissed after report of suspicious package

Students dismissed from Jonathan Law High School in Milford (WTNH / Noelle Gardner)

MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Students at Jonathan Law High School were dismissed early Friday afternoon after a report of a suspicious package inside the school.

Around 12:40 p.m., Milford police responded to the school on Lansdale Avenue on a report that a suspicious package had been found.

By 1:30 p.m., Milford officers determined that the package was not suspicious. Police discovered that it was a holistic healing box that belonged to one of the staff members at the school. The staff member came forward and claimed the box, and was able to confirm to officers what was inside it.

(WTNH / Noelle Gardner)
(WTNH / Noelle Gardner)

The Connecticut State Police Bomb Squad was dispatched to the school, but was called off once the package was confirmed to not be a threat.

Administrators chose to keep the early dismissal because it was close to the end of the school day anyway.

Just before 2:00 p.m. Friday, Milford Public Schools issued the following statement:

At approximately 12:40 p.m., a suspicious device was found in a lavatory at JLHS. All students and staff were immediately evacuated to the football field area. Milford Police and Milford Fire Depts. arrived immediately on scene and began their investigation.

Jonathan Law students were dismissed from the evacuation area, beginning at 1:00 p.m. School buses were deployed to the area for students who normally take the bus home. No parent pickups were permitted from Lansdale Ave. (the street directly in front of the school).

At approximately 1:25 p.m., JLHS Principal Fran Thompson sent the following message to Law families and staff members:
“Just a few minutes ago, Jonathan Law High School was cleared to re-open. The object of concern was inadvertently left by an adult worker and was of no harm.

I want to thank the entire school community – students and staff – for their remarkable composure during this situation. I also want to thank our police department and district personnel for their quick and supportive response.

As always, the safety of our school family is the most important thing. And I am grateful to report all is fine. While school was dismissed early, all afternoon and weekend activities will go on as scheduled.”

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s