WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. (WTNH)- The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, Commission on Fire Prevention and Control wants to remind people about the potential fire dangers around the home during the holiday season. Things like Christmas trees, candles and holiday decorations can be dangerous if they’re not installed and monitored properly.
“Recognizing the risk can greatly reduce the chance of a fire this holiday season and throughout the new year,” said State Fire Administrator Jeff Morrissette.
DESSP, Commission on Fire Prevention and Control wants to remind residents of some important safety tips. According to them, electrical lighting causes most Christmas tree fires, so make sure you check all lights for broken insulation and frayed wires. Also, when your tree dries out it can become more dangerous so make sure you keep it fresh and water your tree every day.
The department also warns against plugging to many things into one electrical outlet, and says you should not run extension cords under rugs, across doorways or near heaters. The department also says to use a tip-proof candle holder for all your candles and make sure to always blow your candles out when you leave the room. Also, if you have a fireplace make sure you only use it with the screen to prevent sparks from flying into your room. Also, the department says to always make sure you get rid of fireplace ashes in a covered metal container and store them at least ten feet away from your house. Also, make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
(Windsor Locks, CT)- The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP), Commission on Fire Prevention and Control, is urging all residents to check their homes to ensure a fire safe holiday season.