Priebus: Green card holders will be allowed into US, case-by-case

Reince Priebus, chief of staff for President-elect Donald Trump, arrives at Mar-a-Lago, Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2016, in Palm Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Washington (CNN)– President Donald Trump’s administration says green card holders — including those detained at airports across the United States in the wake of Trump’s ban on travel from seven nations — will be allowed into the country.

Reince Priebus, Trump’s chief of staff, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that “as far as green card holders moving forward, it doesn’t affect them.”
However, he later added: “If you’re traveling back and forth you’re going to be subjected to further screening.”
Green card holders from the seven banned countries, when they land, will undergo additional security screening, including an interview and having their fingerprints checked, sources told CNN. If there are no red flags, then they would be allowed entry. So far, DHS officials say 81 green card holders have been allowed in and none have been denied entry.
“There is discretionary authority that a Customs and Border Patrol agent has when they suspect that someone is up to no good when they travel back and forth to Libya or Yemen,” Priebus said.
Priebus’ comments come in the wake of a judge issuing a stay blocking the deportation of those affected by Trump’s executive order blocking foreigners from seven countries — including refugees — from entering the United States. The order led to protests at airports across the United States and controversy over whether people who had lived and worked in the country for years would be allowed to return from trips overseas. Some were still being detained Sunday morning.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-New York, tweeted Sunday that he had spoken with Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly.
 “All those still in airports expected to be admitted,” Schumer tweeted.
Kellyanne Conway, a Trump adviser, also said Sunday those currently detained who are not deemed threats would be released.
“I am told by the officials that anyone who’s being detained, if there’s no further threat, if they’re not dangers to this country, they can expect to be released in due course — as most of them have already,” she said on “Fox News Sunday.” “If they are not dangerous, if they’re not a threat, then they will be disposed of on a case-by-case — their situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis,” she said.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s