Trainee bomb detector puppy shot dead at New Zealand airport

This undated photo provided by the Aviation Security Service of New Zealand shows Grizz, a 10-month-old trainee security dog. Police shot dead a trainee security dog after it escaped its handler and ran onto the tarmac at Auckland, New Zealand, airport early on Friday, March 17, 2017, according to local media reports. (Aviation Security Service of New Zealand via AP)

(CNN) — New Zealand police have shot dead a trainee bomb detector puppy that was running amok at Auckland Airport Friday, drawing condemnation from animal rights activists.

Ten-month-old bearded collie cross Grizz was training to be an Aviation Security explosion detector when he escaped handlers who spent hours trying to coax him away from the runway.
Sixteen flights were delayed before airport staff told police to shoot him — Grizz was just six months from graduation.
 SAFE for Animals Ambassador Hans Kriek condemned the killing, asking why the animal wasn’t tranquilized, but a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said he “didn’t believe” that had been an option.
Auckland Airport originally announced on their official Twitter they had captured the dog, before revealing an hour later that he had been killed.

Grizz escaped from his handler at around 4.30 a.m. local time and ran out onto the tarmac at Auckland Airport, according to the CAA spokesman.

“He was on an initial airport environment socialization program as part of his training … The airport Emergency Operations Center was activated and a full search was commenced,” he said in a statement.

But the spokesman said it was too dark and the area too large to quickly find and contain the puppy.

“We tried everything, food, toys, other dogs, but nothing would work … In these difficult circumstances the Airport’s Emergency Operations Center team decided to have the dog destroyed,” he said.

The spokesman said there would be a review into the incident.

The phrase “Auckland Airport” was trending on New Zealand Twitter on Friday, with many users venting their fury at the airport’s authorities.

“Embarrassed to be a kiwi today,” one poster wrote. “Killing a dog so flights can continue (at) Auckland Airport. No excuse! Disgusting.”

Kriek said he believed it was the wrong decision to shoot Grizz, saying given staff were chasing Grizz for three hours there was time to get a tranquilizer gun.

“Ultimately they have to call the police in to shoot the dog, and the police have access to tranquilizer guns, and there’s also a zoo nearby that would have one as well. So we don’t understand why they didn’t do that,” he said.

The Authority spokesman said the question of a tranquilizer gun would be reviewed.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s