Meals-on-Wheels volunteer dies after being run over by her own truck

Carol Moriarty (Photo courtesy of the Estuary Council of Seniors in Old Saybrook)

CLINTON, Conn. (WTNH) — A 78-year-old woman volunteering for Meals-on-Wheels has died after being hit by her own truck in Clinton late Tuesday morning.

Clinton police say Carol O’Day Moriarty, of Old Lyme, was delivering food as a volunteer for Meals-on-Wheels when she stopped at a home on Alden Drive just after 11:00 a.m. Tuesday. Moriarty parked her Dodge pickup truck on an incline in the driveway, and made her food delivery at the home.

“She knocked on the door and she said Meals on Wheels. I said come in, she put it on the dining table and left,” said a woman who lives in the home. “It must have been ten minutes later I hear all this fire engines coming and she’s laying there. I had no idea.”

Police say when Moriarty returned to get into her truck, it began to roll backwards. They believe she was struggling to release the emergency brake.

“She got the vehicle to engage in gear and reverse and the vehicle then, the door knocked her over to the ground and the she was unfortunately run over,” said Sgt. Jeremiah Dunn with Clinton Police.

Moriarty suffered head injuries. First responders rendered emergency aid at the scene and said when they first arrived Moriarty was conscious and her main concern was not for herself.

“From what I’m told she was a dedicated volunteer and her concern was for the others to make sure they got their meals tonight,” said Sgt. Dunn.

Moriarty died on the way to the hospital.

The Director of Clinton Meals on Wheels released the following statement this afternoon:

“Carol was a dedicated, long-term volunteer for the Clinton Meals on Wheels program. She drove a weekly route to homebound seniors. She was an avid kayaker and hiker and enjoyed traveling. She often brought her grandchildren in to help deliver during their vacations. She was truly a beautiful person. Our Estuary family is heartbroken and extend our sincerest condolences to her family.”

Clinton police, as well as officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) are continuing their investigation.