19 arrested during protest over Derby father’s deportation

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) –19 protesters were arrested in Hartford after blocking the entrance to a federal courthouse in support of a Derby man who is set to be deported.

Over 100 protesters took over the plaza in front of Hartford Federal Court Tuesday afternoon to rally in support of Luis Barrios, who has been told he needs to buy a ticket and vacate the country by Thursday to go back to his native Guatemala.

On Tuesday, members of the state’s congressional delegation urged federal officials from Immigration and Customs Enforcement not to deport Barrios.

In an interview with News 8 on Monday, Barrios said he’s applied for asylum over the years, but has been denied each time.

Related Content: Protesters hoping to stop deportation of Derby dad

Tuesday’s rally is part of the last ditch efforts by advocates to get Barrios a pass to stay in the United States. He came to this country as an undocumented immigrant in 1992. He says family members were killed during violence in his home country, and that government corruption forced him to flee in search of a better life.

Barrios has lived in derby for the last 25 years, working for the last 14 years in sanitation. He told News 8 that he cleans septic tanks, and that his boss has trouble finding anyone else to do the job.

Barrios says he has no criminal record. He’s started a family, and has four American children; the oldest a freshman in college. If he leaves, his family will lose their only source of income and financial support.

Related Content: New Haven “May Day” protests take on new urgency under Trump

On Monday in New Haven during his interview with News 8, he begged for federal authorities to give him another chance.

It’s very sad because I am the only person supporting my kids and wife. And i’m saying to ICE, give me a second chance. Review my case. Give me second chance.”

At that point in the interview, Barrios broke down in tears and had to try hard to keep his composure.

Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal have stepped in, and are asking for the decision to be reversed. As of Tuesday morning, Connecticut’s U.S. Congressional delegation say they still have not heard back from ICE officials.