MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A local dermatology office is inviting the public to get a free screening to test for skin cancer this coming Saturday, May 6th.
Dermatologists will be available to answer any health questions you may have. You can also receive a full-body exam to assure that any existing spots, freckles, or moles are normal.
Some fast facts about skin cancer:
(Source: The Skin Cancer Foundation)
- Each year in the US, nearly 5 million people are treated for skin cancer.
- 1 person dies of melanoma every hour.
- Nearly 50% of Americans who live to age 65 will have skin cancer at least once.
- Your risk of developing melanoma doubles if you have had more than five sunburns.
- Regular daily use of SPF 15 or higher suncreen reduces risk of melanoma by 50%.
- People who first use a tanning bed before age 35 increase their risk for melanoma by 75%.