Route 15 northbound reopens in Milford after 3-vehicle crash

(WTNH / Report-It / Kenny D)

MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — The northbound lanes of Route 15 on the Milford Orange town line have reopened after a three vehicle crash Friday afternoon.

Just before 2:55 p.m., the Connecticut Department of Transportation reported that the Wilbur Cross Parkway was closed in both directions from a three vehicle crash in the northbound lanes.

Related Content: See the delays on the News 8 Traffic Cameras

News 8 viewer Kenny D sent in a photo via Report-It showing the crash scene.

According to police, a vehicle being driven by Kenya Porter of Bridgeport, another vehicle being driven by Stephen Hegarty of North Haven and another vehicle being driven by Gary Babon of Meriden were traveling on Route 15 northbound in Milford when Babon struck Hegarty’s vehicle from behind. Babon also struck the rear end and passenger side of Porter’s vehicle.  There was a passenger in Porter’s vehicle at the time of the accident. Police say the passenger was 18-year-old Keyon Porter, also of Bridgeport.

All occupants of all vehicles were transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital for injuries sustained in the crash. Babon sustained serious injuries in the accident.

Route 15 Northbound was shut down for four hours. Approximately 60 feet of steel metal beam guardrail was damaged in the median.

Related Content: Get real-time traffic flow data on the News 8 Traffic Map

The southbound lanes of Route 15 were reopened by 3:35 p.m.. The northbound lanes remain closed. Drivers should seek an alternate route.

2017 05 12 route 15 mva milford report it 2 Route 15 northbound reopens in Milford after 3 vehicle crash
This photo sent in by Gregg via Report-It shows a different angle of the vehicles involved. (WTNH / Report-It / Gregg Spychalla)

DOT officials reported at 4:32 p.m. that they hope to have the northbound lanes back open within an hour, but very heavy delays remain on Route 15 going northbound. There are also slowdowns on Interstate 95 northbound in the Milford area due to additional volume.

Around 6:40 p.m., officials reported that the northbound lanes had reopened.

The crash remains under investigation.